Explore careers before you select a college will help you find the school that best fits your career interests and goals. Follow these steps to get started:
Step 1: Learn more about your interests and skills.
Complete an interest or skill assessments to learn about careers that might be a good match.
- Ask about assessments at your college.
- Use free online tools including the Kuder® Assessment and the O*NET® Interest Profiler.
- Use free assessment tools at an EducationQuest location.
Step 2: Do some research.
Research potential careers based on your assessment results.
Review the Career Diagram to learn:
- essential skills you need for any type of job
- the six broad “career fields”
- the 16 “career clusters” that group careers with similar skills and themes
- “career pathways” that lists specific types of careers
Review career options to understand the education, training, and the unique skills and abilities each job requires.
Step 3: Develop a career plan.
Map out the education and training you’ll need for your future career.
- Use College Profiles to find schools that offer your potential major(s).
- Participate in activities that match your career interests such as community service, job shadowing, and part-time jobs.