How to help your student prepare for a career:
- Talk to your student about his or her interests, abilities, talents, and goals.
- Give your student responsibilities around the home.
- Talk about your job or career in a positive manner.
- Learn about the courses that make up your student’s education and career plan. Help with the plan.
- Talk about education opportunities beyond high school including college, trade school, community college, military service, apprenticeships, and specialized programs.
- Be involved in the development and review of your student’s high school academic and career plan.
- Encourage your child to get a part-time job to learn basic skills and to start building a resume.