Before you choose a college, explore your career interests. Once you discover career options you may want to pursue, research colleges that offer programs in those areas.
Follow these steps to find the right fit:
1. Make a list of your skills and interests.
Think about classes and activities you enjoy and those where you excel.
2. Find careers that match your interests and skills.
To get started, visit career-exploration sites including:
- Nebraska Career Connections – Find videos and details about career options, and take career interest assessments. Ask your counselor for the code to access this site.
- My Next Move – Take the O*NET Interest Profiler to be matched with career options, or search a variety of careers, and learn about annual wages for each job.
- ne.gov – Find labor market information for high-skill, high-wage, high-demand jobs in Nebraska.
- “Now, Next, Later” Career Ladders – Learn about career paths in specific career clusters in Nebraska.
Your research should lead you to career fields that may be a good fit for you.
3. Get a Reality Check
Reality Check is a fun way to find out how much it will cost to support yourself after college – and if the career you want will pay enough to cover your expenses.
4. Research colleges that match your career interests.
Did you know there are over 45 colleges in Nebraska? These include public and private colleges and universities, community colleges, and career schools. The types of colleges you research depends on careers that interest you.
Here’s how to get started:
- Go to College Profiles to find details about colleges in Nebraska and across the country. Another good resource is collegeboard.org.
- Attend a College Fair in the spring of your sophomore year – if there’s one in your area. Find dates and locations in the “Events Calendar” at EducationQuest.org.
- Explore college campuses.
- Attend events or camps at area colleges.
- Stop at colleges when traveling with your family.
- Participate in group campus visits organized by your school.
- Take a virtual campus tour via a college website.