Explore careers before you select a college will help you find the school that best fits your career interests and goals. Follow these steps to get started:
Step 1: Learn more about your interests and skills.
Complete an interest or skill assessments to learn about careers that might be a good match.
- Ask your counselor about assessments at your school.
- Use free online tools including:
- Use the Career Cruising Profiler at EducationQuest.
Step 2: Do some research.
Review the Career Diagram to learn:
- Essential skills you need for any type of job
- The six broad “career fields”
- The 16 “career clusters” that group careers with similar skills and themes
Review career options in the diagram to understand the education, training, and unique skills and abilities each job requires.
Step 3: Develop a career plan.
Map out the education and training you’ll need for your future career.
- Use Reality Check to determine if your potential career choices will provide you with the lifestyle you desire.
- Talk to your school counselor about college majors that will help you reach your career goal.
- Use College Profiles to find schools that offer your potential major(s).
- Participate in activities that match your career interests such as school clubs, community service, job shadowing, internships, and part-time jobs.